I, Michael Hwang, Chief Justice of the DIFC Courts,
After having reviewed:
Dubai Law No. 9 of 2004, as amended in respect of the establishment of the DIFC;
Dubai Law No. 12 of 2004, as amended in respect of the DIFC Courts;
DIFC Law No. 10 of 2004 (the “DIFC Court Law”);
Practice Direction No. 1 of 2005 Rules of the DIFC Court (Interim Arrangements) hereinafter “DIFC Order No. 1 of 2005”;
Hereby pursuant to the powers vested in me by Article 8(3)(a) of Dubai Law No. 9 of 2004, as amended, issue and direct the following:
1. This Order may be cited as Rights to Conduct Proceedings and Rights of Audience, DIFC Courts Order No. 1 of 2012.
2. Subject to the provisions of this Order, DIFC Order No. 1 of 2005 with respect to the Rights to Conduct Proceedings and Rights of Audience is hereby repealed and superseded.
3. The Registrar will maintain a Register of those authorized to issue and conduct proceedings and to appear before the Courts on behalf of others.
4. The fees in respect of entry in the Register will be prescribed by the DIFC Courts’ Fee Schedule, as amended from time to time.
5. Application for entry in the register must be made to the Registrar and be supported by:
a. a declaration that the applicant has a minimum of five years’ advocacy experience;
b. has sufficient command of the English language in order to conduct proceedings before the Courts
6. A refusal by the Registrar to register an applicant may be reviewed by the Chief Justice.
7. This Order shall come into force with effect from 03.01.12
Chief Justice of the Dubai International Financial Centre Courts.
Issued: 03 January 2012